Social media optimization is a set of methods for generating publicity & conversations through social media and online communities. Social media optimization is related to search engine marketing, but differs in several ways, primarily the focus on driving traffic from sources other than search engines, though improved search ranking is also a benefit. Search Engines also “love” this type of content because it is updated often, and seen as new and fresh.
A social media campaign means developing a great message and then reaching out to people, while giving them an incentive/reason to pass it on to other people. Social media optimization is a kind of viral marketing, where word of mouth is created through the businesses and people connecting and having 2-way conversations online.
For Business Social Media to work well, you need constant updates and make them interesting!! Also, you need fans who care enough about your message to pass it on to their friends. This is how something (good or bad) can get spread extremely quickly. If people like something and find it useful, they will link to it and tell their friends. Like anything else online – understanding the motivations and culture of the audience is key to making social media work.
Social media software applications include:
- Social Networks: Facebook, LinkedIn & Naymz (for professionals), Ning, NowPublic, Plaxo, MySpace, Avatars United, Bebo, Skyrock
- Blog Directories: Blogapedia, Blogarama, BlogCatalog, Blogdirs, Blog Flux, Bloghub, Blog Listing, Blogtoplist, Technorati
- Bookmarks: Delicious, Digg, Mixx, MyBlogLog, Newsvine, Propeller, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Yahoo! Buzz
- Free Directory Listings: (some may take time to get listed) Bateekh, BizHWY, Cardboard, CrunchBase, DMOZ, GetFreeListing, Google Local, Jayde, Jigsaw, Librarians’ Internet Index, Little Web Directory, Manta, MerchantCircle, Simple Directory, SuperPages, Tradevibes, TurnPike, WebBuyersGuide, Web World, Yahoo! Local, Yellow Pages
- Publish Articles: ArticleDashboard, Articles FACTORY, Ezinearticles, IdeaMarketers, Yahoo Articles Group
Social media should be in your marketing mix, but it needs to be done right! Make it work for your specific target audience. Develop a great message and reach out to people…then hope they pass it on! Social Media is about connections, so make it a 2-way conversation.
Please contact Bevelwise if you would like to add Social Media to your company’s marketing mix and need some help.
Many other sources have assembled lists of social media sites. Relevant Social Media helpful spots: